CompTIA IT Fundamentals (ITF+) is an introduction to basic IT knowledge and skills.
CompTIA ITF+ helps professionals to decide if a career in IT is right for them or to develop a broader understanding of IT.
- ITF+ is the only pre-career certification that helps students or career changers determine if they have a competency for information technology and if it is the right career path for them.
- ITF+ is the only single certification that covers all areas of IT foundations, creating a broader understanding of IT making it ideal for non-technical professionals.
- ITF+ establishes an IT education framework for students in middle school and high school.
The CompTIA IT Fundamentals exam focuses on the essential IT skills and knowledge needed to perform tasks commonly performed by advanced end-users and entry-level IT professionals alike, including:
- Using features and functions of common operating systems and establishing network connectivity
- Identifying common software applications and their purpose
- Using security and web browsing best practices
This exam is intended for candidates who are advanced end users and/or are considering a career in IT. The exam is also a good fit for individuals interested in pursuing professional-level certifications, such as A+.
The English language version of the CompTIA IT Fundamentals FC0-U51 certification exam retired July 15, 2019. Translated versions retire December 1, 2019, and Japanese will remain available through March 31, 2020.
Required exam FCO-U61
Number of questions 75
Type of questions Multiple choice
Length of test 60 minutes
Recommended experience No prior experience necessary
Passing score 650 (on a scale of 900)
In 2017, nearly 5.4 million individuals worked as technology professionals across the U.S., representing an increase of 2.1%, or nearly 110,000 net new jobs. CompTIA ITF+ will help you determine if this is the field for you.
Twelve years ago, technology spending outside of IT was 20 percent of total technology spending; it will become almost 90 percent by the end of the decade, according to Gartner, Inc. All workers need fundamental IT skills to use these technologies.
- Students considering a career in IT.
- Professionals working in fields that require a broad understanding of IT.
- Marketing, sales and operations staff in IT-based organizations.
Recommended Experience : No prior experience necessary.
What skills will you learn?
IT Concepts & Terminology
Applications & Software
Jobs that use CompTIA ITF+
- Desktop Technician
- Helpdesk Specialist
- IT Support Technician
- Information Technology Specialist